Fixing Sonny's feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Fixing Sonny's Feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Friday, May 4, 2012

XRAYS & ORIGINAL PHOTOS






Well it's very hard to get photos to come out where I want them. Very time consuming actually. Too hard really. Now the format is wrong for the commentary but this blog layout is so limiting. 

Cas here are some photos that show the xrays which are dated, the photos I took after the bandages came off after that vet visit, & the next set taken on 20Apr. You can see that during those 3wks the bulge in the sole of RF did get less which was really good I can tell you!

I will take more tomorrow if the weather is ok (it was raining today so didn't take camera outside).

Sonny cavorts around when he is let out in the afternoon if I let him even though his feet are still a bit sore. But the boots & pads make him feel comfortable. He still gets 1 bute each morning per vet instructions against inflamation. I am trying to reduce it but after he has cavorted he is sore the next few days. So I have to just watch him walk in each morning & make a decision then.

Regarding the method I was prefering to use for this phase of his recovery is Marjorie Smith's way of allowing the bare hoof to help itself. Marjorie has the website Bare Foot for Soundness. Her chapter on founder was very enlightening. I have to say I had forgotten about her method although  I had included it into my trim method several years ago when I had the cattle property & it worked very well.

However I was then encouraged by a friend to go over to the Strasser trim method which is what I was still using when I moved here. It was the wrong trim for this soil/grass type. Moving onto different soil, I should have changed my trim accordingly. Not to worry. I just put it down to experience & learn from it in furture.

Ok Cas so I'll put new photos up tomorrow. Here is the link to my online album of over 1000 photos mostly of Sonny's feet where you can go mad with my blessing!:-


No comments:

Post a Comment