Fixing Sonny's feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Fixing Sonny's Feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Monday, May 14, 2012

Changes are really apparent now at the 8wk mark

Changes are really apparent now. It's been 8wks since visit to vet for the xrays.  It's been 6wks since I took that photo in the righthand margin above showing the underside of the RF hoof in all it's horrible glory!

It's amazing how fast repair is happening as can be seen by the photo below of a hind foot showing the rings that announced the beginning of the various management strategies.

My main focus is to address the flares both heel quarters & toe quarters on all feet. I'm trying to just do a small roll so only a thin portion of wall remains in contact with the ground to relieve the flaring pressure.

It is amazing to see the waves in the upper part of the capsule disappear on a hind hoof once I have dressed the side flares. I never realised it happened almost straight away, within an hour of so. I first saw it when I dressed a hind hoof on 5th May. I had taken some photos which showed obvious waves in the rings & coronet band on the white RH. Then I dressed all his feet focusing on the flares which took 40mins, then I did some play with Sonny which all involved about 1hr20mins. Then the sun was shining on his back feet & I did a double take. Where were those waves?? I looked closer & it was quite obvious they had gone. Been relieved by me removing the upward pressure applied to the ground bearing surface of the hoof.

So now I look even closer & as soon as I see those waves appearing I know it is time to redress those parts of the hoof. This time it has only been 9days between trims. His feet are growing quite fast & I must keep on top of the reshaping. There is no point in allowing waves to remain as they will perpetuate the cycle of improper hoof shape.

I was recently told the new thinking is to let the heels be a little higher. However just right now I think it is better to make sure they aren't running under & that the platforms are well defined (not that Sonny has much in the way of heel platforms!) I'm intrigued by the swells that are occurring behind the existing heels which must be whole new heel positions developing.

The RF is beginning to show it's new angle which will be a lot steeper than the current one creating quite a duck bill shape for a while. Should I get more severe with the toe of that hoof to remove the pressure that creates the lamella wedge?


So here are a select few photos. The rest can be seen at this link all dated 14May2012 on the photos:- http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o358/claireT_2008/BBB/Sonnys%20Feet%20photos%20for%20May%202012/


  
                                                              






No comments:

Post a Comment