Fixing Sonny's feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Fixing Sonny's Feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Friday, May 18, 2012

A bit of a milestone with new heel positions apparent now

A bit of a milestone yesterday when Cassie Grant visited to personally inspect Sonny's feet (& Jude & Cassie's too! oh dear..2 Cassies :-D)

It was good to have someone who actually knows about this coastal region grass & soils & understands how that is affecting horse's feet. She put me at ease regarding how their feet go flatter on this grass covered country & how if I moved back to rough country their feet would all change back to how they used to be.

We looked over & discussed my horses feet for some time then Cassie showed me how she does feet by doing 3 of Jude's & leaving 1 for me to do. She certainly takes them closer to the heel than I ever have! But obviously that's the difference & why I have been failing to get things in order.

POWER GRINDER Cas also uses a power grinder. I must learn to use one too as it was much easier than rasping & nipping. My horses are all used to my dremel but I haven't used that for a few years due to their feet mostly being too hard here for the dremel sanding pads to work.

Here are just a few shots I took today as I was too busy yesterday to take photos too.

NEW  HEEL POSITION  In my last post I wrote on one photo that I thought there was a new heel position evident on the LF. Well that was indeed acurate & Cas made that the new heel position which can be seen in this lefthand shot. When I look at Sonny's feet now I can see the new steeper angled capsules emerging out the back of the old angular capsules. Like fat insects coming out of old shells. Progress at this point is so rapid they change every day.

MORE PHOTOS     A few more of today's photos can be viewed here http://photobucket.com/BBB_May2012
I have started numbering each photo to make it easier to discuss a particular photo. So for example one of today's is the one above 18May2012  RF 4  being the 4th photo I saved from today's shots of that hoof. Usually I post more than one photo of each hoof either here or in photobucket so being able to identify a particular shot by what is written on it is so much easier.


BUTE Sonny is also now only getting bute every 1&a half days, so morning feed yesterday & night feed tonight, then nothing tomorrow & morning feed next day, etc. He seems to have come through his most recent bucking & rodeo event unscathed which indicated I could start lowering the dose. I (& he) can tell he's a bit sore on the day he misses out, but not sore enough to be a big concern unless he starts running amok again.

VET The vet got back to me regarding the photos & update I emailed to him late last week. He said all looked good. So that made me feel a lot easier too.


NEW BOOTS  I have ordered more new boots for Sonny too. I was to get another RX when it came into stock but after reading about other new boots EasyCare now have, I changed my order. I have ordered a pair of Trails & another pair of BFB pads which are the 12ml thick soft pads usually used in the RX boot. http://www.easycaredownunder.com.au/page4.htm
Since I will be able to get Sonny back into light inhand work quite soon it is silly to only have 'hospital' type boots for him. He has 'blown' the gaitors on all his Epics now so I decided it was time to get him a boot that he couldn't destroy so quickly! :-D

So next week he should be reshod in new EasyBoot Trails with BFB pads inside. Happy times!

No comments:

Post a Comment