Fixing Sonny's feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Fixing Sonny's Feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Friday, August 3, 2012

Latest Front feet Trim

Here are the shots of the front feet latest trim done today. I'll do the back feet tomorrow I think/hope!

When I tried to lower the heels to where Cas said they should be, I was unsure how much sole thickness I should rasp off because the frog is already standing proud of the sole & I was concerned about making it too sore. Sonny is usually sore after a trim & I think it is often due to the frog having to squish down once the sole around it is rasped away to get the heels to the right height.

I will ask Cas what I should do. In the meantime I rasped them just to the current sole level but it is clear they should be lower. In actual fact they have moved back again but this time the sole has stayed put. I guess that means it is thickening so I don't want to rasp it off. His feet have started growing again which is a little unusual for him in winter.

What all that means is it is time for more xrays but I need to save for them for another month yet since the vet requires to be paid within 7days of the service!

The shots of the toe of the RF are very interesting as they show the top edge of the old lamella wedge where an old abscess hole has broken away. I had to rasp a lot of that old lamella wedge away today & it was like rasping eraser! I'm sure a more adventurous trimmer/farrier would probably have cut it all away to tidy the toe up better but I'll just let it grow out a bit more yet.

As usual here are 2 shots with the rest at the link following:-  http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o358/claireT_2008/BBB/August%202012%20Sonnys%20feet%20photos/







No comments:

Post a Comment