Fixing Sonny's feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Fixing Sonny's Feet, From Foundered to Fixed



Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Great Big Crack across LF Periople


The photos tell the story.

Again today it was late before I started so I only got Sonny’s fronts finished & hinds started. I was waiting for the day to get cooler & ended up working in the orchard shade so only sole shots again today. Tomorrow I'll get out the big board so they can stand on it for the upper hoof shots.

 The soles have gone rock hard overnight so it was really hard to get knife purchase on the horn. In anticipation I had sharpened the hoof knife & managed to cut my glove with it but not the sole!  
Then there’s that new big heel crack opening up right across the periople. If you have already had a look at those new Hoof Distortion videos  on youtube by Linda Harris, you would have seen this very crack across the heels of one of the hooves she was using for demonstration.
I will do more tomorrow.

Here’s the link to the photobucket album where you can see the other shots of the finished front feet all dated 20Nov2012.

 






In this shot below you can see those overlaid bars. I have been leaving them a bit as I didn't want to take too much out of the soles due to them being thin. I know Cas keeps telling me to take out more, especially those lumps in the collateral grooves. However this dry season has made the soles rock hard, too hard for me to use the knife & I had only started using the dremel recently on their fronts. I hadn't got to the hinds yet. But the rainny weather gave me the opportunity to do them. So this afternoon I did both Sonny's hinds just to get all that bar out. Tomorrow I will do more.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment